Thursday, May 21, 2015

Little David... the 80's weren't all big hair and bad clothes

The 80's weren't all about big hair and bad clothes. Although, looking back at pictures there was plenty of that to go around. During those years there were some wonderful songs written in Southern Gospel music. Today's post is about just that...

The below favorite from my childhood became our lullaby for naptime today. The toddler in my lap requested "Jericho" (Joshua fought the Battle of Jericho), and I obliged. After a while, the Sunday school songs ran out. It was then that this song came to mind.

Sweet memories flood my heart when I think of this song... or when I hear it, which is very rare. In my mind's eye I see my mother singing in church, which happened often when I was a child. This was one she sang often. It's simple message rang true in my heart then, as it does now.

May the little ones we sing to, and share stories with, know the power of the simple messages of the Bible.
May those truths resonate in tiny lives, that they may be strong and bold in Christ.



LITTLE DAVID
by Sandy Knight

Little David, oh, so small,
Goliath, oh, so tall,
Odds were just too high, poor little David.
So he shook off all of his load
For with the power of God he was clothed,
He said, "The battle's not mine; I give it to You; 
Lord, it's Thine." 

"The battle's not mine," said little David,
"Lord, it's Thine; I'm in Your favor.
I've given it all to You,
I knew not what to do.
I'm so glad You let me see 
You're really all that I need.
For the battle's not mine; I give it to You;  
Lord, it's Thine."

Now little David, unafraid
Before the giant he stood that day
Seems to be the end, poor little David.
Just like the lion and the bear he slew
Oh, Goliath shall come down too
For the battle's not mine; I give it to You;  
Lord, it's Thine.

Now little David, he stood tall,
Now Goliath seemed so small,
Sweet victory had reigned for little David.
'Cause he gave the battle to One
With a record of getting things done,
He said, "The battle's not mine; I give it to You;
Lord, it's Thine."

"The battle's not mine," said little David,
"Lord, it's Thine, I'm in Your favor.
I'm giving it all to You,
I know not what to do.
I'm so glad You let me see,
You're really all that I need.
For the battle's not mine, I give it to You,
Lord, it's Thine."




Enjoy the little people in your life and love them until that love flows from them onto something else.


In Christ,
A Southern Sinner

No comments:

Post a Comment