Monday, September 15, 2014

Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker ~Psalm 95:6

I'm facilitating a Bible study on Esther, at the moment. This morning, as I prepared my words to the ladies I felt like I was writing an epistle. After I finished, I felt I needed to share it here as well. So here you go....

The study is through Love God Greatly, and they have a study method called SOAP, which is the format for the following notes.
Scripture
Observation
Application
Prayer

S1 After these events, King Xerxes honored Haman son of Hammedatha, the Agagite, elevating him and giving him a seat of honor higher than that of all the other nobles. 2 All the royal officials at the king's gate knelt down and paid honor to Haman, for the king had commanded this concerning him. But Mordecai would not kneel down or pay him honor.
3 Then the royal officials at the king's gate asked Mordecai, "Why do you disobey the king's command?" 4 Day after day they spoke to him but he refused to comply. Therefore they told Haman about it to see whether Mordecai's behavior would be tolerated, for he had told them he was a Jew. (Esther 3, NIV)

6 Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; (Psalm 95)


O~ Mordecai might have been bowing to the king, but when an Agagite (Josephus says an Amalekite) was placed in a position to be honored that way... Mordecai could no longer comply. Haman's hatred was based out of revenge for the Jews destroying his people, and he only existed because Saul failed to obey God. (I Samuel 15)

~ We are to BOW DOWN in worship, to KNEEL, but before the Lord our Maker. It doesn't specifically state it here, but we are told elsewhere to have no other gods, and we see examples, like Daniel, refusing to bow before the kings of the land, or their gods, NO MATTER THE CONSEQUENCES.


A~ Do I stand up for the things I know are against God's commands? Do I cut off a conversation on gossip? Do I stop watching the movie or TV show that belittles my belief in you or turns others away from a pure view of you? Do I like things on FB that are crude or have page titles that I wouldn't speak out loud?  Let me be mindful of my actions! Let me be mindful of what they say to others... other Christians and unbelievers.

~ Do I actively worship my Lord our Maker?
The example of prayer I remember from my childhood wasn't the eloquent words or charismatic moments in church. It was the picture of my mother and grandmother, closed away in a closet or study, on her knees spending time with the Lord. You could be involved in the biggest sibling/cousin disagreement, but you knew to wait until they emerged to make noise or get it resolved. That time with the Lord was important! I need to spend that kind of time with the Lord daily, on my knees being thankful for His many blessings.


P~ Father, make me brave, so that I may stand up for your commands without fear. Help me remember that this world is not my home and it doesn't matter so much what others think, as long as I live my life for you. Prick my conscience when other things begin to creep in and steal my focus from you. May I do better to spend time on my knees before you, or even prostrate as David, showing honor to my Lord and King. Let my example impact Elizabeth as my mother and grandmother impacted me!


In Christ!
From One Saved Sinner to the Next

No comments:

Post a Comment