Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I Timothy 1:15-17

A wise woman once answered my stress induced insomnia with these words... "Read I Timothy".

Sometimes I forget the wealth of wisdom and truth found in often small portions of the Bible.  I Timothy has only six chapters.  Read it for yourself.  I barely got through the first chapter before my mind began taking inventory on the location of my highlighter.

See.... 1:15-17 - Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners (That's me, every single day I breath) -- of whom I am the worst (That's the Apostle Paul talking!). But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience (think how deep that well of patience must be to deal with humanity) as an example for those who would believe on him (that's you and me) and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

I have a dear friend who, when I was in high school far away from family, took me in as one of her family.  Being part of the family didn't just mean that I got to eat great food, have fun at the bay, and sleep in on Saturdays.  It also meant that I attended church and had long discussions about God.  Somewhere in my years of high school and college, this dear friend was confronted by a group of rather self-righteous, or shall we just say confused, individuals.  The details of the instance have faded, but her response has stuck with me for years.  Their accusations, that in their eyes, she was sinning were met with responses of contrite agreement and sympathy. "Yes, I am a sinner. I am, indeed, as filthy rags." 

You see, she understood what they did not.  We are ALL sinners.  It is only by God's grace that we appear to be anything otherwise.  Christ Jesus came to save that which was lost, and because that was his express mission his mercy is poured out on you and me.

I do not think that we will every truely grasp the depth of that.  For it seems that every time we begin to understand God opens the window of enlightenment just a hair more and we are once again amazed beyond belief.  I personally pray that I never cease to be amazed at the depth of the love Christ Jesus has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment