Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wednesdays with Jesus: Romans 2

My study buddy and I are taking a break, as we participate in a larger group study. (Esther provided by Love God Greatly. If you've never done one of their studies, you should give one a try.)

In the meantime, I'm going back to Romans to pick up where I left off with my reading prior to our Corinthians study.

Romans 2
Here Paul is speaking to the Romans about God's righteous judgment.

"1 You, therefore have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things." I don't think Paul is saying that those who judge always commit the same exact sins, but the root of their sins are the same... selfishness, lust, greed. He goes on in verses 2-3 to speak of how God's judgment is based on truth, and how do we think that we would escape that judgment any more than the one we are judging.


That makes sense, a good statement of reason putting into perspective that we are no exception to God's judgment. It's verse 4 that hit me... "Or do you show contempt (an act of showing disregard; the feeling with which a person regards anything considered mean, vile,or worthless; disdain; scorn.) for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?"

Am I simply arrogant to think that I am an exception to God' judgment or do I show contempt for the goodness God has graciously shown me? I'd never really considered the gravity of that question. When I judge others, especially for sins that I myself commit over and over, how utterly ungrateful must I look to God?

Not only am I showing contempt for the God who saves me, but I am storing up God's wrath against me... something none of us wish to have piled against us on the day of judgment.
I am letting stubbornness and unrepentance keep me from God... eating away at my soul until, not only have I disregarded God but, I can no longer love myself or others properly.

Paul goes on in verses 9-11 to state that this applies to both Jew and the Gentile, "11 For God does not show favoritism." He then speaks of the law, which is what the Jews held everything to. It was the covenant God had given their forefathers, but it was often a snare when the legalistic trappings added to it over the years where held in higher regard than God's truths.

In verse 13, Paul states "For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." He wanted to make sure that they knew that no matter what the division were they placed on themselves, it was about obeying the law of God.

Just in case they weren't getting the gist, he gets real specific in verse 14... "Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even thought they do not have the law, 15 since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them."

It's not about the outward show of obedience. It's about the honest inward act of it!
God alone will judge, and even our secrets will be known to Him.


In Christ!
From One Saved Sinner to the Next

No comments:

Post a Comment