Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Wednesdays with Jesus: I Corinthians 4

Last week I shared about my Quiet Time with Accountability. I'm going to start sharing, weekly, something along those lines... even though I pray I get more quiet time than once a week. The Lord knows I need it!

This reading was actually from last Friday, but I'm sadly just getting back to it. Saturday we had a big yard sale with friends and I spent the afternoon holding an exhausted teething toddler. Sunday we did make it to church, but I once again spent my afternoon with a teething toddler. Monday I worked on my business plans, and Tuesday we had a dentist visit and a lunch time stop to see Daddy (a.k.a Husband).

See how easily life gets in the way. Not an excuse, but it's hard to find the time alone if it doesn't come before the rest of the house awakens... and to make matters worse, I am not a morning person. I like my sleep!

Moving right along to our passage for today...... :-)

I Corinthians 4
My quiet time buddy and I both seemed to pull the most from the first seven verses. I think we're both having some issues with judging... ourselves and others.

When you're feeling judged by others, I like Paul's words in verse 3: "I care very little if I am judged by you or any human court;..." Paul lived for Christ and cared very little what the world thought of him. As we'll see a few verses later, he knows that the only true judge is the Lord.

My buddy pointed out something that hadn't occurred to me. Vs.4 reads... "My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent." Paul is saying that he knows that he is unaware of sins in his life, but that the lack of awareness does not acquit him of them.

Take a moment to think on that.... Thinking?

How many times do we struggle with things for a season in our lives before we see with clear eyes our actions? Only seeing then how unlike Christ they really are.

Offhand comments become a habit, white lies a norm, or people watching becomes an analytical, judgmental attitude.

That verse goes on to say, "It is the Lord who judges me." Kinda scary, if you ask me, but comforting at the same time. He means business, but he already knows all our business so there's no fear that something will be taken into consideration out of context.

While we're talking about verse 4 and Paul's mention of being unaware...  My quiet time buddy wasn't struck by the idea of not judging others as much as not judging herself... not comparing her Mommy life to those of others. While I struggle with the former, her admission forced me to admit that I sometimes struggle with the latter as well.

Do my efforts as a young mom measure up to all these other crafty, resourceful, put together moms out there? Or even worse, do my efforts measure up to the older generations who raised me to be the woman I am today?

Talk about a hot seat at the table of judgement.

That's why I'm thankful that verse 5 reads like this... "Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God."

I like the admonition to hold off on judgement until the Lord comes, because that means we have a chance to change our attitudes and have Him mold our motives to His will! It's hope for me, but also a good reminder that I shouldn't judge others. (Back to this topic of judging others. See a personal struggle here?) I have no idea what their thoughts, actions, motives, circumstances are, and I have no need to know... as vs. 4 says. "It is the Lord who judges me."

Vs. 7 hits it home again... "For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? (Paul's talking to some puffed up ministers here, but I think it can also apply to us and the fact that we have all been given God's grace.) And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not? (As if you are righteous, but got there of your own works and not grace.)

The great thing in all of this is found back in verse 2... "Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful." ... having been entrusted with the secret things of God. (vs.1) I know Paul is talking to ministers here, I know, but shouldn't we all be faithful to what God has given us?

He has bestowed His grace and His Spirit upon us that we might be saved from all sin. The blood of Christ provided that for you and for me! How then can I judge others or myself?! I must instead prove faithful to Christ.... I believe through striving to be a good steward of my time, my words, and my actions.

In Christ!
From one Saved Sinner to the Next



✏️If you'd like to be notified of new blog posts, please sign up to follow me by email (under my profile on the right side column) and leave me a comment below. I'd love to know who's listening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment