Thursday, August 28, 2014

Wednesdays with Jesus: I Corinthians 7

This week, Wednesdays with Jesus comes on Thursday... Sorry.

In my quiet time I've been studying I Corinthians with a friend. Here at A Southern Sinner we've looked at chapters 2 & 4. Today we'll jump back a few days for me...


I Corinthians 7
This passage is about marriage, and unfortunately people have used it poorly many times to guilt others who do not share their views. Paul starts the chapter with "It is good for a man no to marry.", and people often stop there when they want to use the verse to support celibacy.

However, Paul has a but in Vs. 2... "But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband." He then goes on to talk about how the relationship should be mutual, submitting and giving of ones' self for the good of the marriage bond. Paul also states, "I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that." (Vs.6-7)

A concession? He wishes all men were like him?
For those of us that are married, why would he say such a thing?


Well, Paul knew that celibacy was hard physically and emotionally. He knew that some of us would need the bonds of marriage to keep us from immorality. Knowing that, it is good and right that we marry, and he made concession for it in his address to the church.

Something else he also knew was that devoting our focus fully to Christ was much easier to accomplish while single.

Think about that for a second.

This week's Wednesdays with Jesus came on Thursday. What else do you think occupied my mind and time? Life, spouse, children, housework, business. Did I not spend time with Jesus at all? No, but it was not my #1 focus everyday. Should it have been? Yea, probably so. *just a little sarcasm there*

Paul knew that to focus on Christ alone, and not let the cares of this world distract us, would be hard... married or single.  He speaks to that closer to the end of the chapter: "32 I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs-- how he can please the Lord. 33 But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world-- how can he please his wife (I would add his job, kids, home/vehicle maintenance, finances)-- 34 and his interested are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world-- how she can please her husband (here I would add kids, cleaning, cooking, finances... see where I'm going?). 35 I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord."

Do I therefore think that I should have remained single, or that most Christians should remain single? No.
God created the bonds of marriage for our enjoyment and benefit... not to mention that little command to be fruitful and multiply.

Do I have more respect for those who are single? Those who choose to give their all, literally for service to Christ? Yes!

They've chosen a different road than I, but we all strive to serve Christ to the fullest.

Next time you talk to your single friends, or meet a new single at church, try not to harp on their love life or the lack thereof. Remember that singlehood is sometimes a calling in life and should be respected as such.


In Christ!
From one Saved Sinner to the Next

No comments:

Post a Comment